Green Neighbors meeting minutes 2/13/17
We’ve booked our next 3 meetings at Petworth Citizen, in the Reading Room at the back – March 20, April 17 and May 15. Catherine will be the facilitator at the March 20 meeting.
Chesapeake Climate Action Network Polar Bear Plunge – results
$1,295 total raised by Green Neighbors. We can keep $447.50 and the rest goes to CCAN. $101,348 total raised by CCAN.
People’s Climate March – April 29th in DC, right after Earth Day
Nick attended a planning meeting Tuesday night of last week. There was a pretty good cross-section of metro area groups. Table meeting – goal was to get lots of local groups in the room to come up with a plan together.
Green Neighbors has decided to officially join in planning the Climate March. We will outreach to people in our neighborhoods electronically as well as through flyer-ing at the metro and posting flyers on bulletin boards around the neighborhood. We will reach out to some local organizations to join the effort. Catherine will draft a letter to send to other organizations. Nick will be our official contact person.
We will also do outreach for the Science March on Earth Day.
Long-term potential GN activities later, a sample of ideas tbd:
- Discuss our niche related to other organizations…
- Provide “Green 101” training
- Outreach to local businesses/institutions/residents about switching to clean energy
- Lead in Water
- CCAN Carbon Tax
- RFK Stadium
- Lorton, VA incinerator
- NEW: Public transit issue…CFO WMATA, proposed service cuts, layoffs. David will keep everyone informed.
- Increased # of folks viewing.
- Resolutions article posted this week
- DC green community organizations list to be constructed
- Need help from fellow GN on “tips” that are local.